Sunday, October 12, 2014

Book Search - The Circle

To start my book search, I went to Amazon and looked through the top picks of 2013. I wanted to find a book regarding the "information society" in a non-generic genre. I found one book that was was artistically appealing and I recognized the author, JK Rowling. The book "The Cuckoo's Calling" is a 455 page nonfiction, mystery book. Although the plot seemed quite interesting, I didn't think I could effectively relate it to the information society. Another prospect I found was "Thank You For Your Service." This is a 256 page about soldiers after returning home and readjusting to their American lifestyles. Although this book seemed interesting and able to relate to the information society, the reviews mentioned that it was quite a boring read. There were no adjectives for the majority of the story, which seems like it would be difficult to get through. The last book I found and the one I chose to pick for my project is "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. This book is a nonfiction book focused on a woman landing her dream job at an internet company that has merged all social media tools. The story, besides the obvious relation to social media, incorporates the struggles of hierarchy in an information society. This 504 page nonfiction book seems like it should be an exciting read with lots of connections to the information society and the modern technology world. I found a review by Seth Stevenson on Business Week (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-03/book-review-the-circle-by-dave-eggers). He describes this book as a possible reality that could occur in out technology society if social media keeps expanding. Another review by Alexander Nazaryan from News Week wrote a more in depth review of "The Circle." With quotes and inserts shared in his review, I got a good understanding what this book will cover and how it will deliver. (http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu/pqrl/docview/1469418431/80754303DFB84C1FPQ/3?accountid=465)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The book you chose sounds like an interesting story to follow. The title makes me think the story will imply the hierarchy of the information society is one where it is a continuous circle of people being successful, not leaving the possibility for new people to come in and be successful in the new world we are living in. I am excited to see how the story turns out.

Adam Mucha said...

This book seems like a great nonfiction read. The story seems very relatable to our lives because the information society connects everything we do in some way. I'm sure the book will give a new insight to the information society that most of us never realized.