Thursday, October 23, 2014

Over the Weekend - Self Search

I started out my online investigation of myself on the recommended sites.  The White Pages didn't give too much information about me, just having information on the town i lived in.  The Fact Finder site presented a picture of what my hometown, Menomonee Falls looked like, which i feel was very accurate.  According to the census it has a very predominantly white population with an overwhelming percentage of "traditional" families.  Pretty accurate for a suburban community outside of Milwaukee, WI.  When I went searching for my Facebook from an outsider perspective I found that anybody just goggling my Facebook would be able to see all of my profile pictures.  They could also see all the favorite books, music, movies, etc, that I had put on my profile.  When googling myself I surprisingly found a lot of information.  The first site to show up was my twitter profile, followed by this class blog, but a picture of me that had been in the Journal Sentinel three years ago also showed up right away.  The most surprising thing that showed up in my googling was comments that I had posted on some YouTube videos.  I feel that my online persona is different though somewhat the same to my real self.  If someone was just looking at my phone number, address, and hometown demographics they might get the idea that I am just a very privileged person who has never been exposed to diversity, which I feel is completely untrue.  However, when googling myself the ideas that i express on twitter are my own, the comments I share are me, and so is that picture from the Journal Sentinel.  I feel lucky that I have only posted thoughts and comments that I 100% believe in and stand behind, therefore I feel like my online persona is really showing who I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you Tina, the online alias we create for ourselves, can be both very representational and also incredibly not. As you said, the information about your hometown would indicate you aren't as exposed to diversity when really you go to a school of over 40,000 people from all over the United States and world, because you didn't necessarily tag your name in a post about the UW-Madison, meant that according to the online world you were not associated, but that's clearly not the case. The information that you are associating with yourself I am glad represents your thoughts fully and doesn't make you out to be someone who you are not.