Monday, October 13, 2014

Online over the weekend


For this assignment, I started searching digital age on Amazon. I came up with 3 choices which I went into further research on other sites as well. My results are as followed. The first I found was, In Real Life: Love, Lies, and Identity in the Digital Age by Nev Schulman. It was published on September 2, 2014, contains 257 pages, and costs $14.40. World Cat said that it is found in 151 libraries and is classified as social sciences. Google Books had 21 reviews on this books, mostly giving it a 4/5 ranking. On Library Thing, because it is a very new book, there were only 9 members, and had a 950,433 popularity ranking. The next book I researched was Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other by Sherry Turkle. It was published on October 2, 2012, contains 384 Pages, and costs $9.85. World cat said it was available in 2195 libraries, and stated that the subjects include information technology, social aspects, interpersonal relations. Google Books had 18 reviews on this book, mostly 3/5 stars, and it was said to be very though provoking. Library Thing had 561 members for the book and had a 17,757 popularity ranking. It said it was very fascinating but disturbing as well. The last book I researched was The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. It was published on June 6, 2011, contains 280 Pages, and costs $9.40. World Cat said this book was available in 2512 libraries, and had the subjects of neuropsychology and internet psychology. Google Books had 856 reviews, mostly 4/5, said to be thought provoking and relatable in our modern society. Library Thing had 1488 members, a popularity ranking of 1992, and seems to have very mixed reviews and lower ratings than those on google books. In the end,I chose the first book because I thought that would be the most interesting for me to read. When I looked up the book on ProQuest and Project Muse, I didn’t find any scholarly articles or reviews, but there were many magazine articles on the book.  

1 comment:

matthew reich said...

Shayna, I looked up all three of your books and they all seemed interesting! Can't wait to hear more about the book you chose throughout the year!