Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Exploring the internet Over the weekend

This weekend I took the opportunity to explore what an stranger could find out about myself on the internet knowing various things about me. One of the first interesting things I found while searching my area, is that living only a couple miles from downtown Chicago truly makes it hard to distinguish what type of person I am from a person who would live a couple miles away.  The population of Cook County is over 5 million people, and pretty racially diverse, there is a small chance of distinguishing what type of person I am. While if someone only had access to my zip code, they would be able to successfully deduct my ethnicity.
            Knowing my full name and searching it on Google wasn’t as horrifying as I expected it to be. One of the first links that comes up indicates there are five people named Nicole Hulick in the United States, however their locations are states I don’t live in. On Facebook you don’t have access to anything on my page, and you can see there are other Nicole Hulick profile pictures while mine is blocked. However, searching Google images on Nicole Hulick leads to numerous Facebook profile pictures of mine, but also numerous pictures of my mother, which is not only strange, but also semi disturbing. Knowing there are specific algorithms to Google makes me wonder if searching from a Wisconsin computer would lead to my page due to my location in Wisconsin, than through me that would connect to my mothers page, or it connects to her page just from the last name.

Knowing this is the representation of my existence is in a way pretty frustrating; no interesting pages come up, there isn’t anything about my education or any work or volunteering I’ve done. However, it is reassuring to know that searching for me, you must know my address, my name, and my age in order to figure out- yet still unreliably-which pictures are of me, and that I have successfully privatized my images and videos on the internet where a person of basic computing skills wouldn’t have the access to them.

No comments: