Sunday, October 26, 2014

Online Over the Weekend

I began searching for myself online on Whitepages. When I searched my name and address no information came up; however when I searched my phone number my hometown came up.  Then using factfinder.gov and  nytimes census data I was able to find demographic, education, income information and much more on my hometown. Using accessdane.co.dane.wi.us/ I was not able to find any information on my permanent address; however, I was able to find property information about the apartment that I currently reside in. Next, I conducted a social networking analysis of myself. I did not expect to have success in finding myself on social media sites because Anjali Patel is a fairly common name worldwide. I conducted this self search on both a public computer and my own personal computer. I found that on my own computer I was able to find myself on LinkedIn by just searching my name; however, I did not appear on Facebook or twitter. On a public computer in order to find myself on Facebook and LinkedIn I had to search “Anjali Patel University of Wisconsin- Madison”. With a general Google search I could only find myself if I searched my name and UW- Madison or my high school name. With my school included in the search I found images and information about various activities I am a part of. I could not find myself with an address search, but when searching my phone number I could find my hometown once again. After this exercise, I was able to confirm that is fairly difficult to find me because Anjali Patel is a common name worldwide. I realized that in order to find me you need other key information such as my school. I almost do not exist on the Web and social media unless you have additional pieces of information about me. Additional website such as https://www.intelius.com/ can be used to find additional information about a person; however, many of these websites require that you pay extra to access this data. I was also not able to find myself on these websites. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In a sense I guess it is nice that people are not able to find you by just searching your name. It helps for you to be the thing causing a first impression and not the random information someone finds online. If someone wants to search for you they have to know a little bit about you already which helps to keep your private life private. I really enjoy that feeling myself, knowing not just anyone is able to find anything they want out about me.