Monday, October 27, 2014

Over the Weekend

I started my personal search by looking up my house phone number in the white pages. Immediately, an outsider can see that I’m on the Cablevision Lightpath Landline in South Salem, NY, the names of my family members who live with me, a map of where my house is located and how close my neighbors are, and also the names of my grandparents who are related to my Dad. The Access Dane website didn’t have my address listed on the site. From the NY Times site, I found that my town is 89% white and the population is 5,439. Also, I found that 39% of households have incomes over $200,000 and only 4% of households earn under $30,000. The median income is $170,021. An outsider can also see that the median home value is $801,000. 98% percent of high school students graduate and 41% get a Master’s degree or higher in college. Next I had my friend unfriend me and search me on Facebook. She could see that I’m at college, I seem happy, I have school spirit, I work at Campus Job, I’m from Westchester, NY and more specifically, South Salem, and I like a lot of country music pages. I was pretty surprised that this much information wasn’t private, so I’m probably going to change that. On google, soccer articles from high school showed up. Also, on google images, pictures of both me and my high schools friends came up. Nothing showed up when I searched my cell phone number on Google. From this representation of my from an outsider’s perspective, you can see a lot about the area I grew up in and where I am now, but not much about my personality or anything deeper than some broad details. I think the representation of my location is pretty accurate, and that can be used to imply some things about me. Using google revealed more about me personally because you could see soccer articles, my LIS 201 blog page, and even some old vines. I was surprised at how much information someone could accumulate about me just be searching different places that are public. 

1 comment:

Tina I. said...

Hey Sofie, i completely agree with you when you mention how people can just see the surface of things if they were to search you online. Especially from what you shared about your Facebook, an outsider could see you look like you school spirit as such, but they really can't see much deeper than that. This definently shows that people should take what they see on online profiles with a grain of salt.