Sunday, October 26, 2014

Online Over the Weekend

The first website I went on was Whitepages. I typed in my name and it easily found my age, my home town, my family members, and some of my social media accounts, but since I don’t have my own account on the website, I couldn’t see any further information. When I typed in my phone number on Whitepages, they did not find as much information about, and only could tell my state (they had the wrong hometown) and my cell provider. Next, I went to fact finder and submitted my zip code. This gave different demographics about my town, including the total amount of people of each race and nationality present. When looking on Facebook on an outside computer, my profile is able to been seen but there are limitations. Outside viewers can only see the things that I like, and my profile pictures and cover photos. As for twitter, since my tweets are not private, outside viewers able to fully access my account. While searching my name on google, my Facebook and twitter accounts come up, as well as various pictures randomly selected from my Facebook and Instagram account. I also see all my posts from the LIS blog spot as well. A geodemographic firm would have access to a decent amount go information about me, but it doesn’t bother my because I realize that as I am posting these things on the internet. They can see my age and that I am a student in college, as well as some of my interests. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You made an interesting point about how we should not be bothered by what we find when we Google ourselves because the social media information is all things that we have consciously posted. We are always told to be careful what we post because a person's social media presence can be found with a single Google search.

matthew reich said...

You made great points shayna! I agree that we should not be particularly upset with the lack of information we find about ourselves on the Internet. I'd rather people know less than know more!