Sunday, October 26, 2014

Over the weekend - Search for myself

For the weekend assignment, I started by looking up my phone number, zip code, address and other information about my hometown. From the reverse phone search, information on my carrier and where the line originates from came up. When looking up my zip code I found out some interesting facts about the demographics in my neighborhood.
  • Such as the majority of people in my area are 25-35 years old and 80% are 16 years old or older. 
  • The majority of inhabitants are of the White, Asian and Hispanic race (in descending order).
  • Almost 60% of the household are of families.
  • It is an almost equal split of males (50.3%) and females (49.7%).
When searching on accessdane my address couldn't be found. I kept receiving the "Parcel not found" page. When searcing on the NYT "Mapping America" I could look into a few block radius of my neighborhood and find the census data on a smaller scale.
  • In my census tract, there approximately 7,364 residents.
  • 43% are white.
  • 42% are Hispanic.
Next I did a social media search of myself and found quite the interesting results. The first on being a YouTube page in my name (I don't have a youtube page...) However, someone with the same name as me as a page with young kids posting videos of them dancing around in their house such as "Awesome dance party" or "boyz dancing to hey ya". (Like I said, interesting...) Next when I searched Facebook, my profile didn't even come up in the top results. However, my full Pinterest page is visible to the public. So according to that, I'm a food and shoe addicted home decorator! When I found my name on LinkedIn, it led me to a sign up page. I seem to be well protected from public viewers it appears!

When Google Searching, my name brought up my facebook, linkedin profile, pinterest board, and many accounts that were in my name but not me. When searching my email, my old high school appeared along with some interesting results of "bboys definitions" and "peekyou.com". When googling my phone number, a lot of phone locators came up, a few chinese websites and other mobile tracking sites, but nothing with my name or information.

Overall, searching myself on the web didn't display too much information. Besides the census information in my neighborhood and my pinterest profile, the rest of my social media and personal information don't seem to be that accessible to a "public person".

No comments: