Thursday, December 4, 2014

Extra Credit - Go Big Read

On Wednesday, December 3, I went to a Go Big Read event held at Vilas Communications building.  The event was held for students who had specific topics that they wanted to express to an audience, which they held important to them.  A couple of the topics introduced were of reusing water, bullying, and trains.  The speakers brought up many key points about their research that I never would have thought of on my own.  One of the main things that had me thinking was the speech about trains.  The girl giving the speech was very passionate about trains and their role in transportation.  She believed that trains would be a much more efficient way for transportation if there weren't so many regulations against them and more railroads to access.  This is something that I've actually thought about in the past, but never thought other people believed it too.  I thought the if there were more railroads that they would be a much more used asset for transportation in our society.  In Europe, people use trains all the time for long distance travel, but that may have to do with the fact that many people don't have cars?  All in all, I believe the event was very informative and gave me perspective on topics that I hadn't had before going.  Here is a picture of one of the students speaking at the event.

No comments: