Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Over the Weekend- Shayna Iorio

The archive I chose to watch was “Shopping Can Be Fun: A New Concept in Merchandising”. Considering the assignment asked to find the video that we personally are most interested in, I immediately clicked on the shopping archive videos. When I saw that the title was attempting to convince people that shopping was fun, I was automatically intrigued. The video is promoting the Hillsdale Shopping Center in California. It is an advertisement that is trying to draw customers into the center for its features that are different from any other, such as the farmer’s market, an Auto show, a fashion show, a famous sculpture, and more. I found it interesting that this was necessary in order to get people to come to the shopping center, because currently due to advancements in advertisements and marketing, people are always going shopping and spending time at shopping centers similar to this one. However, at the time, this type of publicity was a new concept, as were the newspaper ads, billboards, promotions, and special events, that are now major aspects in the Information Society. 

3 comments:

Adam Mucha said...

Shayna, I was interested in your post because advertisement for a mall is not something that usually happens anymore. It's weird to think that people needed to advertise malls in the past since most people weren't used to being major consumers after the war and depression occurred. Mostly today, department stores do the advertisements for sales, so they can increase their sales. Not the mall doing advertisements for them. But like you said, with improvements in newspaper ads and billboards, it's a lot easier for people to know what things are happening in the consumer world.

matthew reich said...

Shayna I loved your post about shopping. I think its very interesting how the mall can be used as a site of advertisement. There are thousands of people going in and out of malls everyday to shop, and could really be the perfect placement for advertisements. I also liked how you included billboards as a way to advertise. Billboards have always caught my eye and is definitely an effective way to communicate a message. Good job!

Unknown said...

I think it's super interesting/funny how back then they used advertising to make a trip to the mall more about the experience as an event rather than a time to go buy material things (as I think today shopping more entails the latter). I almost think it would be a lot more of an enjoyable thing for many if today shopping was more like the former.