Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Welcome to LIS201 Section 308! 

We meet every Wednesdays from 4:00-5:15 in room 4281 in the Helen C. White Hall. (Don't enter through the library, look for the elevators or stairs to the right and left of the main entrance!) 

Please take a look at the LIS201 Class Blog (see link left) and familiarize yourself with your expectations and assignments in the syllabus. Bring your questions with you to our first section on Thursday! 

We are in discussion sections together... meaning we need to be familiar and comfortable sharing our thoughts and opinions every day in class. So let's get to know each other a little better!  I'll go first. I am a masters student here at UW in the Library and Informational Science department focusing in youth services and school libraries. For the last four years, I have been working in Chicago as an English and composition teacher at Gary Comer College Prep, a Noble Street High School. I have a passion for literacy, education, and information access in all communities. Last Fall, these lovely ladies, my advisory from GCCP, encouraged me to apply to go back to school... so we could all be going to college together. They, and my other students and their families, are my inspiration for my work and keep me smiling. 

When I am not reading, working, and volunteering at my local library, and texting these teenage girls about our new nose rings... I spend a lot of time cooking and baking with my husband, and then swimming at the Serf to work off all the cooked and baked goods... The little lady to the right is our dog Harper. She would prefer I don't to any of these other things and instead spend all of my time at the dog park with her or rubbing her belly. Occasionally, I find time to do this too. 

Now it's your turn. Post a picture of you, your dog. Tell us about your hobbies, your inspirations, and goals. Tell us about yourself as a writer (your excitements or fears). Share a motivating experience from your past or your favorite Madison hang out place. Then, connect with at least one of your classmates and leave a comment on their post. 

Please complete this assignment before lecture on September the 9th. 

We have some exciting times, meaningful discussions, and a lot of hard work ahead of us. I am looking forwards to seeing us collaborate as a class and support one anther in this work. I also am greatly looking forwards to coaching all of you to improve yourselves as writers, speakers, and scholars in this course. Happy Blogging! 

Cheers, 
Rebecca 

No comments: