Sunday, November 2, 2014

Disconnecting myself


I hate when my parents say “Erin, no phone at the dinner table” or “why are you always on that thing,” but it’s true, technology plays a prominent role in this day and age. Last week, my phone malfunctioned and I was left carrying around my computer connected to my phone to enable me to use my phone if I wanted.  From this sad state, I only used my phone when necessary, for example, when I had to meet a friend for class or to receive updates about my parents whereabouts when they came to visit. All social media and emails, I found access to on my computer. Now, let’s fast-forward to this week where Greg challenged us to disconnect ourselves from the hyperconnective world. Let’s just say I wasn’t a great competitor. I hate to rely on my phone so much, but as Julia stated in her blog post, it becomes a nervous twitch. When I’m walking home from the library at night, or stuck in an elevator with someone, without even realizing it sometimes, I check my phone. It’s become a terrible habit and a sort of crutch for uncomfortable situations. Instead of facing the environment I’m in, I dissociate and face my phone.  I have even gotten to that point where I keep my headphones in sometimes, without music playing, to notify people around me that I’m not interested in conversation. I’m not saying I’m necessarily trying to be “rude” but it’s a crutch. Also, not responding to a text message/call can be incredibly worrisome. My friend this weekend freaked out Saturday afternoon when her boyfriend didn’t call her after a few hours. She stated that he never forgot to text/call her when he came home from a night of drinking and since he hadn’t for a few long hours after a tailgate she began to worry. Turns out he passed out for hours before the tailgate and didn’t even make it to the game and that was the reason for her instant panic.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you about our phones acting as a crutch. I would be lying if I said I have not used my phone to get out of uncomfortable positions, especially when I walk past people handing things out on campus that I do not want to talk to. It is just so natural to be on our phones that people just accept it and leave us alone. It really makes me wonder how or social skills are actually faring in this new day and age.

Patrick said...

Erin,

I really like your analysis on how dependent we are on our cell phones. I had never thought of the cell phone acting as a crutch, but now that you mention it I do all the same things. I especially agree with the awkward moments in elevators, I always leave my headphones in and check snapchat or instagram to avoid the stranger. I wonder if this dependency will continue to grow and eventually cause our social skills to be minimal. Nice response!

Patrick