Monday, November 3, 2014

Disconnecting Myself

This weekend was a tough weekend to try to disconnect from technology for many reasons. First off, I am in the process of searching for flights home for Christmas, which involves searching airline sights everyday and also calling back and forth between my parents at home. This all makes me realize how much technology helps me to be so far away from home, yet also be in such great contact with everyone from home. Without technology and this ability to have constant communication with my family and friends at home, who knows if I even would have gone as far away as I did. Also, I am a campus rep for a company here and my job involves constant social media posts. This was simply something that I could not give up for the weekend without getting in trouble! I noticed how much technology has impacted the economy. My job can be done completely through technology, and the company that I work for is also an online company, so they make all of their profits through a website. Also, since it was Halloween, I was constantly staying connected with my friends to make sure that no one got separated. This part made me realize how different times must have been without texting. Not being able to know where people are in a matter of seconds is a luxury that we so used to having these days. However, I did try to stay of social media sites/apps (other than for my job). It was probably one of the hardest things I've never done which is pretty sad to say. It wasn't hard because I was so deprived without the apps, but it was hard because it's become instinctual for me to constantly check these apps such as Instagram and Facebook. I would find myself clicking on the app icon without even thinking, and then once it popped up I realized I wasn't supposed to be on it. So, after this experience, I realized that this assignment was pretty impossible for me. Our world is so connected and so dependent on social media that it has become an integrated part of our lives, rather than an add-on. It's not something we can just take away at this point, and if someone does decided to take it away for themselves, they may be putting themselves at risk to miss certain information and opportunities.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sofie,
It was really interesting to read your take on the assignment, hearing about how social media really plays a major role in most jobs these days it's simply impossible to do your job without it. It really made me think about the many ways people and companies get their word across through social media, and how that effects everyday people, including me, who don't necessarily use it for work.
Nicki