Monday, November 10, 2014

Over the Weekend Assignment

I found this assignment to be very interesting and relevant. College students are constantly looking for summer jobs, and a website like this can really help ease the process of finding an internship or job.  Although it doesn't seem to be such a difficult process, after experiencing it two summers in a row, I can confidently say that its truly a grueling process. I searched Los Angeles, California, Madison Wisconsin, and New York City. There were ten jobs listed in Los Angeles, California with all of them being permanent Most of the positions offered were manager or assistant jobs, requiring a low-level of technological ability. When I searched New York City, I received more diverse results. There were 16 permanent jobs listed and 15 temporary jobs listed, with half of them entailing a manger or director position and the other half dealing with analyzing statistics for business purposes. The director jobs require less focus on technology, while the analytical jobs require having substantial knowledge on how to use mathematical applications on Mac and PC's. After searching for jobs in Madison, WI I received similar results to my Los Angeles search. There are ten available jobs in Madison, however, all of them except one are temporary or contract opportunities. These jobs require little to no technological ability as they are all warehouse or heavy lifting jobs. Almost all of the jobs offered were manual labor jobs rather than desk jobs. This website has proved to be very useful, and I can imagine how much easier it makes the process for finding jobs or internships.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on that this website is very helpful for us to find jobs and internships, and I think it's interesting but kind of sad at the same time that there are only contract and temporary jobs in Madison.