Saturday, November 22, 2014

Online Writing Reflection

This weekend I went through my past blogposts to see what common mistakes I have made in my online writing.  One main grammar mistake I found was that I was consistency not capitalizing "I".  Maybe it was the online, informal nature of the blog, but it did make my arguments and ideas less valid because of such a silly grammar mistake.  I believe that my online voice, besides the grammar and spelling errors have been very similar to the way I present myself in my other written work. 
 
However, in scholarly work, such as essays, I put a heavier emphasis on editing then in my blogposts.  One thing I found was that I was more open about sharing my opinion and ideas in the blogposts then in in-person discussions.  I think this has to do with the safe environment that the Internet can provide.  People can leave comments agreeing or disagreeing with your ideas, but you can't actually see then doing it and therefore don't have to really be afraid of experiencing it.  Overall I think that online and written assignments can showcase my talents better, since I don't hold back in them.  But, to make them a more valid representation of my talent I will need to put a bigger emphasis on editing. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am the same way when it comes to voice. I believe when you write something, no matter what you are writing, there is always going to be a little bit of you that comes out in it. Obviously there are going to be differences in the general manner of he way you write for different things, but the underlying style I think is always going to be the same, no matter how much emphasis you put on changing it.