Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Post Sofia Corelli

This weekend, my family came to Madison for Thanksgiving so that we could all go to the football game! While they were here, I noticed that my Dad was on his phone a lot, but I know my Dad and I know that he never ever texts people. So, I was wondering what he was spending all that time on his phone for. When I asked him, he said that basically 95% of the time that he uses his iPhone is for checking email. Since my Dad is a small business owner, whenever he is gone, he needs to make sure that everything is running smoothly while he's gone. However, I found it interesting that he resorted to email instead of texting or an easier/faster method of communication. He explained that email is the most important aspect for his company because since all of his employees are around his age, email is what they all ares used to and, therefore, it is the most efficient method for them. I found this very interesting because it made me realize how advanced our information society is now, and how fast these advancements happened. My Dad, who is living at the same time that I am living, is in a totally different information society than I am in. The resources that are very "convenient" to them, are some of the least convenient for me. Although in my life, my professors who are my Dad's age also rely on email, which makes me use email as well. So, I guess this is what links their information society to ours, the fact that when they use their devices to contact us, we need to use them as well in order to communicate with them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is interesting that your dad relies on email so much even if it isn't the most efficient. My dad is also a small business owner and relies heavily on his iPhone in order to run his business. My dad however uses texting, emailing, and calling in order to cater to the variety of customers he has. It was interesting to learn how our parents rely on their phones for much different things than we typically do.