Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Assignment


As I’m sure most people did, I spent the majority of Thanksgiving break on my couch eating food and spending time with family. This allowed me a great deal of time to observe what my family members were doing around me. I found that my siblings and I spent most of our time in the living room on our phones or watching a football game/movie. My mom on the other hand spent her time reading books and magazines. Finally, my dad spent his leisure time on his iPad. As we lazily wasted the day away with these information systems, I asked my dad if he could survive one day without his iPad. I targeted him specifically because he has his iPad on him at all times. He said he would be able to survive, but his day would be very unproductive. This is because he accomplishes so much with it. He uses his iPad to check his email, look things up, communicate with others, and set reminders for appointments. He said it has everything he needs in one simple device. He also specified that he likes the iPad better than his iPhone because it is bigger. His eye sight isn’t very good so he enjoys the large font of the iPad. He also thinks the keyboard on the iPhone is too small and appreciates the enlarged keyboard on the iPad. My father compared his iPad to the vast array of devices he had to once use before they all converged onto one tablet. He told me to appreciate the conjunction of these devices because it saves so much time and money. Talking to him about this really made me appreciate the time period I live in because I have years and years of development and progress handed right to me, without enduring the old fashion glitches of ICTs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's really funny to hear how your dad is so attached to the iPad because I don't even know if my dad knows what an iPad is! It's crazy that with the developments that occurring so fast in our lives today that people can be at such different points in understanding technology.