Monday, November 3, 2014

Disconnecting Myself

This assignment was very difficult for me to complete as was expected. I attempted to completely disconnect myself from social media, texting, email, and the internet but I wasn't able to make it past a few hours without my phone. This weekend I had friends visiting so throughout the weekend I had to coordinate meeting up with them and making sure I didn't lose them anywhere. Keeping track of everyone was impossible without my phone and I would have certainly lost my visitors a few times if I didn't check my phone. Since I couldn't disconnect myself from communication technologies such as imessage and facebook messenger I decided to disconnect myself from social media websites that don’t really serve any purpose to me besides entertainment. I did not use or check instagram or twitter all weekend and it truly did allow me to not waste as much time. Instead of scrolling through my twitter and instagram feed while talking to others or taking a “study break”,  I paid a 100% attention to those I was interacting with and didn't need quick entertainment. Even though this assignment is over I still haven’t checked my instagram or twitter. I have realized that these social media websites are usually just a waste of time for me. Maybe I will turn back to them when I am very bored but for the time being I have no desire to log into them and see what I have missed while being disconnected. 

1 comment:

Tina I. said...

Hey Anjali! I also had trouble with the communication aspect of avoiding technology. A couple of my friends were coming to visit this weekend too and the communication through texting and calling was vital. I did however also notice that it was fairly easily to cut out unnecessary social media and found that I had a lot more time to do other things when I did.