Friday, November 14, 2014

Weekend Assignment - Connor Klosterman

      When I first opened the game to start playing I did not know what to think of it; was this going to be something I enjoyed or just another app that was not going to make much of itself.  I was leaning towards the latter conclusion but decided to keep an open mind going into the experience considering you often find exciting things in unexpected places.  I picked an adventure that was near to my apartment which was to go around and explore some of the sights around Camp Randall.  Some of the spots included the different cannons on the hill as well as the big stone gate on the east side of the grounds.  When I ventured to the arch I was pleasantly surprised by the background the game gave me.  It was interesting to find out the history behind the gate.  When I went on over to the cannons on the hills by Camp Randall I was disappointed with what I received considering what the gate gave me.  The cannon destinations just provided me pictures of the cannons which seemed to lack a point, at least to me it did, considering I was standing right in front of them and could see them with my own eyes.  There was no purpose in supplying the pictures without any written information to accompany it.  I was equally disappointed by the rest of the different points on the game as well.  The only one that was slightly interesting was the gate by the entrance to the grounds of Camp Randall.   


      I would give the overall experience I had from this game a C.  It was not too exciting or something I believe will catch on.  Some of the ideas could be neat if you were new to the city and wanted to explore its history or just the places it has to offer.  Unfortunately though, I believe the excitement from this game would wane extremely quickly.  Most people do not have the time to wander around the city looking for points on the map and even if they did have the time to do so, I believe the excitement would wear off too quickly and they would find much more productive things to do with their time.  Overall, I think the concept of this game was made because someone had too much time on their hands and that it will not be going anywhere anytime soon.    

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think because the game is relatively new it still lacks the pull and exciting features, more developed games possess. For example, like you said some of the facts the game gave you about Camp Randall were interesting like the history behind the gate, but some of it like the cannon destinations, lacked a point. The game only provides substantial information about certain aspects of the destination, and compensates for the rest with “pictures,” but since we’re at the location these pictures are just boring and repetitive. I agree with your point that this game would have a lot more success if it were played in a new city, it could act as an interactive tour guide, but then again we could just go on a tour. It doesn’t have enough to it to make it exciting or worthwhile, in my opinion as well. The concept is there but I don’t think it’s interesting enough or will gain the interest of a large group of people.