Sunday, November 2, 2014

Without Digital Devices

For this weekend’s assignment I think I unconsciously knew that I would not be able to succeed in abstaining myself from every digital devices and social media, because those are now necessities to me in order to interact with people and even do the assignments for other classes including this class, Information Society. (I cannot even imagine that I use a typewriter to write a paper that is due next Wednesday in this class). However, I want to say that I at least did my best limiting any social networking tools. First, I told my parents who are currently living in South Korea in advance that I would not be available for the weekend because of the assignment to prevent their anxiety. Second, I told my friend that I will come over to her house over the weekend in advance. Lastly, I decided not to watch my favorite TV show and instead read books.

It was not so difficult not keeping in touch with my parents for a couple of days and not to watch TV shows, but giving up contacting with my colleague ended up making me fail to the assignment. On Halloween, I had an arrangement with my friend in her house where is far away from the campus. Since it was first time for me to reach to her house and it was first time for me that I went to her neighborhood, I was lost in the middle of crossroads, just waiting for my friend who was supposed to appear. It was late evening; I was in an unfamiliar environment, so I was terrified. I unbearably took out my cell phone that I prepared just in case and called my friend in order to be aware where she is then. Through this assignment, I realized again that I cannot survive without internet or other digital communication. Once I underwent this convenience, I think it is impossible to give it up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, first off, I am happy to hear you are okay! I'm very sorry that you underwent a scary experience not trying to use your phone. I also had to give in and use my phone when trying to meet up with a friend over this Halloween weekend. I also came to find that it was super difficult not using my phone as a camera to take a bunch of pictures of my costume and my friends' costumes! Hope you had a great Halloween weekend!