Monday, November 3, 2014

Disconnecting Myself

Over the weekend I did a pretty sub-par job at removing myself from the internet. I admit, I found it tempting to carry my phone in case of emergencies. I then found myself forgetting about the ban and responding to texts or calls. Eventually, I completely gave up. That being said, I still think I learned from the experience. It was certainly eye-opening. Clearly, my pet peeve of people using Instagram while at dinner is a little hypocritical, given my own failure to separate myself from the internet. On the positive side, I didn't check Facebook during the weekend until past Sunday at five. Consolation prize, I guess. Otherwise, I essentially communicated with my friends in the usual ways: texts, GroupMe, and calls. Honesty has to count for something, right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Completely agreed. I feel like I learned something but also realized that I will never have to go without all of my technology devices, so it didn't really seem to matter in the end. I was traveling home and it was very difficult not to kill time on social media on the bus or call my ride to pick me up. Consolation prize here too.

Unknown said...

I like that you were completely honest with this assignment. Our experience with this assignment were very different, what do you think was the toughest thing about this assignment?