Monday, November 3, 2014

Over the Weekend Assignment

Growing up as a relatively observant Jew, on the Sabbath and Jewish holidays I've gone three to four days without using any technology. I've never found it to be that hard. However, this weekend was definitely challenging. Not only was it Halloween, but I also traveled to Ann Arbor, Michigan this weekend to visit some friends. Before the weekend I told myself I would only use my cellphone on Friday to get in contact with my friends and I would carry it around with me in case of emergencies. Ann Arbor is a really big and spread out campus. I'm not too familiar with it, and although before the weekend I thought I would be okay without a cellphone, that was not the case. I didn't use my phone for the web or any other reason but to send texts or contact my friends. It was not hard to stay away from social media, but it was nearly impossible to navigate Ann Arbor without a source of communication. I ended up using my phone to keep in touch with friends throughout the weekend, but I honestly believe that if it wasn't Halloween and I was in Madison for a regular weekend I would have been able to do it. The most I've ever gone without a phone or any source of communication was five days after I lost my phone overseas and had to wait for a new one to be mailed to me. If this assignment was assigned at a different time I'm confident I would have been able to complete it .

No comments: