Monday, November 3, 2014

Disconnecting Weekend assignment

My idea of what disconnecting from social media and modern technology as a weekend assignment would be like proved to be pretty similar situation as i thought it would be. I knew going into the assignment that the hardest part would be to follow along with would be the idea of not texting and calling-basic telephone capabilities. Friday and Saturday night on campus had the ability to be a tragic couple days to have been disconnected from friends-had I gotten lost from them on the streets of Madison. For me it was more of a safety issue rather than a desire to be in contact with friends at all times. It was a feeling of security i had that if i got lost i was able to call or text someone and find them easily.
I had no issue with the idea of trying to refrain from social media this weekend and i genuinely made an attempt at not using it. I successfully used no social media friday, but sadly i couldn't even make it past saturday morning-as i was lying in bed, mindlessly scrolling through Instagram pictures from the night before. It had been a couple minutes before i even realized i unknowingly failed the assignment. Much of social media to me has become a mindless activity to consume my brain during times of rest, for example before going to bed at night. Other than that i use Facebook and other social media constantly to connect to friends in other states, but that isn't an issue of short periods of time such as over the weekend when I'm busy with friends here.
In turn, i actually learned a lot from my accidental failure at this assignment, i learned that i have become accustomed to the society we live in with communication technologies always at arms reach, i know as a person i feel unnecessarily lost and even bored at times i shouldn't be with out my phone and its many abilities. But i also began to realize that i only feel lost without the phone because everyone around me is using them constantly. When all the people around me are using their phones, its like an automatic reflex to pull mine out of my pocket and check my texts or go online. The feeling of missing out on Instagram pictures and Facebook posts goes away, buts it our society comfort in having these technologies around them all the time that makes it so hard to put them away, even for a simple 48 hours.

No comments: