Sunday, November 9, 2014

Manpower Search

First I went on to the Manpower website, which I had actually never heard of. Next I looked up three cities: Madison, Chicago and Boulder. Here's what I found about each:

Madison, Wi

  • In addition to the one or two, desk/clergy type jobs, the majority of jobs listed for Madison were contract work with remodeling houses or some type of physical skills.
  • Most of the jobs were temporary. I only saw one permanent job listed.
  • These jobs don't seem very promising, I wouldn't classify them as quality or good.
Chicago, IL (my hometown)
  • The jobs varied a lot in the Chicago search. There were a few administrator assistant jobs listed, a couple construction opportunities, a few counter clerk offerings, a number of sales representatives, and even a graphic designer listing.
  • Most of the jobs were temporary or through a short contract. I only saw 2 permanent opportunities among the 36 listed.
  • The jobs, especially because the majority are temporary, don't seem very good. They are low skilled work and don't return much to the employee.
Boulder, CO  (a place I might like to live someday)
  • To my surprise, the most listed jobs were in Boulder at 95. 
  • The first 9 pages were vastly taken over by Call Center Representative listings. With maybe 2 or 3 hard labor job. On the last page, there was a technician, paralegal, and sales position. Besides those the rest were call center reps as well.
  • I'm not entirely sure what a call center representative is held to a standard, but I can't imagine it is the most rewarding or high paying job in society. So overall I would not classify these jobs as high quality either.
  • Every position was temporary.
Overall, this search opened my eyes to a lot. Firstly, I didn't even know such a service existed and it makes me wonder if there are people who could really benefit from this site that don't know about it either. Secondly, it enabled me to understand what kind of jobs are available at this level of employment. It was interesting to see the different types of jobs listed in different cities as well.

1 comment:

Michelle McGuire said...

Hi Meghan! I think you made a lot of important points about the kinds of jobs offered on this site. I noticed a lot of the same things. While this job website is great for finding jobs, I think it only really appeals to people looking for specific kinds of work (mostly labor related and temporary). We may never use this specific website for ourselves, but maybe we will use similar websites to find jobs in the future.