Monday, November 3, 2014

Disconnecting Over the Weekend

I began this assignment of disconnecting from technology for a weekend with a healthy dose of skepticism.  I was fairly certain that I would not be able to make it more than a day.  I was correct.  The biggest contributing factor that made me break this assignment only 4 hours in was the use of my cell phone for calling and texting.  I had a couple friends who were coming to visit this weekend so the cell phone was essential in working out where to meet.  I was pretty aware with how much a rely on the communication aspect of my technology so this need did not surprise me.  I also found it very difficult to stay off of Facebook to this weekend, not necessarily for the distraction tool that it normally may be, but again for the communication aspect.  My sister is living in Honduras, and since she doesn't have an international cell phone, Facebook message is the main way we communicate, which I personally found hard to cut out.  With all these rules I was breaking for my need for communication I decided that I would try and cut out the unnecessary social medias for the weekend (twitter, Instagram, snapchat, etc,) I found this to be surprisingly easy.  I was fairly busy this weekend so I almost forgot that these were apps that I regularly checked.  As for it being Halloween weekend, most of the people who I wanted to see their costumes or such were with me in person anyway, so that wasn't a problem.  I carried this distracting social media ban through Sunday night and found that I got a lot more homework done then I normally do on a Sunday, and was even able to finishing reading that book that I was reading for fun, with no guilt that I didn't finish my work beforehand.  The amount of time that can be cut out of a task when not wasting time on unnecessary sites is astonishing and a huge part of what I took away from this weekend.

1 comment:

Michelle McGuire said...

I realized the same thing with this assignment! I waste so much time with social media. If I could keep myself from using it so often, I know I would get much more work done. I love when I finish my homework with time left to read or catch up on a TV show without feeling guilty. Good job disconnecting yourself!