Sunday, November 9, 2014

Manpower - Over the Weekend

I had never heard of this company prior to this assignment, but I have noticed that these types of job-seeking/hiring companies are common and often very successful.  Right away, it was clear that the website had a great, sleek design that was very easy to navigate.  First, I looked up the job opportunities here in Madison.  The results brought up fifteen different jobs in the immediate Madison area. Most of them were manufacturing related and were the "contract" type of position.  I don't think I would ever be interested in applying to any of these positions, considering the career path I am now.  However, my sister had an internship this summer that focused on supply chain management, so I clicked on the position under the logistics distribution and supply chain.  The position was a seasonal warehouse opportunity that could work for people looking for extra money on the side.  Most of the other positions were similar in that they require some form of manual labor.  Then I searched job listings around my hometown of Palatine, Illinois which is a suburb of Chicago.  I was excited to see that the website brought up 144 job results in a 25 mile radius because I think I'd like to live in Chicago one day.  The jobs were more varied in these results which was also good to see.  Although a lot of them were still labor-type or secretarial jobs, many of the positions were in different types of industries like health or banking or marketing.  I decided to look further into one position that sounded particularly interesting, a "graphics designer".  Last, I decided to look into the job opportunities around San Diego, California.  I probably won't ever live there, but if it ever made sense for me to live there, it would be my dream place to live.  I didn't get as many results for San Diego than I had with Palatine, but there were more than here in Madison.  Once again, most of the results were manufacturing.  However, there was one company looking for a youth careworker, and they were willing to offer either full time or part time.  Overall, I thought this was a great website.  It may not be the best job website for me personally because I am looking to become a speech therapist, but it is perfect for people looking for manual labor positions.  It seems like the jobs are constantly being added and filled because most of the positions were posted very recently.  I don't know if I'll ever use this site in the future, but it provides a lot of opportunities for people who don't have many options and need a job, which could be me someday.

No comments: