Sunday, November 16, 2014

Online Over the Weekend

I found the "ARIS" game to be very confusing. It took me a good 15 minutes just to figure out how to navigate the app and once I did, I found the nearby games to be confusing and pointless. It seems like a good idea in theory but the actual implementation of the app does not seem necessary. After downloading the app, I explored the games within 100 meters of me. I was at the library when doing this assignment and happened to find a library tour. I walked around the second and third floor of college on a "quest." I was confused the whole time and kept getting random facts and history about the area I was in. I also played a game called "Robots" which sent me on a quest to search for the "robots" that are "roaming around Madison." There was only one "robot" in College Library and the others were around Memorial Union according to my GPS. Unfortunately, I did not capture all of the robots. I was bored for a lot of the time and it seemed like more of a task than a game. I would not recommend this app and/or see it picking up momentum in the app world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that it was confusing at first which is just a discouragement to try to actually play it in the first place. Also, once people do figure it out well enough to be successful at it, most people will think it a waste of time to have spent such effort on the game for the little reward it supplies. The problem you had where most of the destinations of the robot game were not in the same building as you is something I think most people will find discouraging. People want to play a game where they are and not have to get up and wander around town to be successful at the game. Therefore, I think we all have the same idea where this game is not going to gain any momentum and become the next big app, let alone anywhere near popular.