Friday, November 7, 2014

Manpower - Over the Weekend

In beginning my search through Manpower, I looked up my hometown (Germantown, WI), then Madison, and then lastly Santa Barbara, California. I found it a little shocking that Madison had the most jobs, 17, over Santa Barbara.  I guess I expect there to be more opportunities in California for some reason.  Santa Barbara only had 2 job postings while my hometown had 1, which I wasn't surprised about only having 1 in Germantown.  The single post for Germantown was a contracted job, but not many skills were necessary to apply for the job.  Most of the duties within the job were physical moving of products or materials.  There was no requirement for any technological skill, which made me think that the job would not be something I would pursue.

In Santa Barbara, there was 1 temporary job and 1 permanent job.  The permanent job was basically just someone who would answer phone calls and deal with customers.  No more technological skill beyond working a phone.  The temporary job was actually more appealing than the permanent job.  The temporary job was an Assistant Sales Rep with much more responsibilities in the description.  There were also job requirements of Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer.  This seemed to be the more legitimate job option out of the 2 posted.

Lastly, in Madison there were plenty of jobs to choose from if I wished to pursue.  Out of the jobs, there was an even distribution between temporary, permanent, and contracted jobs posted.  Many of the jobs posted were labor intense jobs that did not require much technological skill.  They were easily replaceable among people with a high school degree I'd say.  This surprised me because I expected much different from this assignment.  Realizing the website is called 'Manpower', I probably shouldn't have expected many of the job postings to require technological skill because their name speaks for themselves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Adam!
After reading about your search experience, we seemed to have had different experiences. I did not find many job offerings in or near Madison, while my hometown offered plenty. One thing I found interesting about your search was that Santa Barbara didn't have as many positions as Wisconsin. You would think that in such a large, bustling state it would have a diverse range of positions!